Saturday, June 6, 2009

Sea Eagle, Dark Abstract

It's been a while since my last post and since I'm not really doing anything right now I'll write about two of my current works.


The first work is an abstract interpretation of... well, I'll let you figure that out. That's the beauty of abstract; it is based on a natural form but designed to look quite unlike what it's based upon. Anyway, this work is a school based assignment so It's been rushed to an extent. The canvas I used is second hand so it already had a design on it, which is unfortunately showing through as slight embossing in the image. I decided on using cool colours to add to the sense of darkness and mystery of the image and added a large, red section cut abruptly by another form over the top of it to contrast it against the other colours. The red symbolises a startling, out of place thought amidst otherwise calm and flowing thoughts, symbolised by the cool colours.


Before I get too involved in my thoughts I'll just add that it's acrylic paints on canvas, the green was made using blue and yellow, the purple was in a seperate tube because I can't yet mix purple from primary colours without making it brown.


Back to the work... Ok, it's abstract of a pine cone. Ten points if you guessed that already.



The second work I won't write about right now but I will say that I am slowly working on fixing it up to make it look more realistic. I rushed it quite a lot to begin with and it's been fixed up a lot of times now so I've decided to just take my time and let it flow. After all, these works are an extension of my mind. I want to present them to my full capacity.



This first version was going to be a sunset but I decided a daytime scene inspired by the sights and smells I experienced at Rottnest Island would be more reflective of my mind.





In this one I have painted over the ocean and sky and added some soft clouds using cotton buds.






These are the adjustments I'm making to the picture. This small section has taken me two days to add in but it has been well worth it. This is what my work is really like, even if I am still getting the hang of painting.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. The abstract is wicked. The sea eagle's also brilliant! :D keep working at it.

    ReplyDelete